Email us at

Angolare S4R Project

 

Everyone at BCR really lucked out with Angalore, our latest custom build.  It started as a 2007 Ducati S4R Monster with less than 2,000 miles. It had a 90s-era color scheme with matching burnt orange accent on the gas tank and the wheels, and it was hesitantly bestowed upon us by our generous client who often reminded us that this bike was their baby.

 

During our first meeting to discuss our plans for the Ducati, we explained to our client that we were looking to chop the frame and ditch 90% of the stock body work.  Our client, defensive of their bolt-on carbon fiber-toting child, requested a render of the finished piece -- however, we unfortunately are not the best at drawing. To ease their reluctance, we gestured with our hands to visually portray the lines and the profile of the frame -- carving waves in the air to help our client better understand the shapes of the pieces we would be putting in place.  I also explained to them that this bike would be a true one-off -- something we would be proud to call a true BCR build bike. Our passion helped settle our client’s unwillingness and they sanctioned the project, giving us full creative freedom with one caveat. They told us, “Do whatever you want. My only request is that you paint it -- paint it anything, but yellow.”

When we do a full custom build bike, we generally start with the gas tank.  However, for modern donor bikes, we start by cutting the rear part of the frame and making a completely new rear subframe.  To showcase the signature Ducati trellis frame, we left the front part of the stock frame and fabricated a more subtle rear subframe to complement.  To add a more aggressive feel, we shortened the subframe, positioning it at a slight angle.

 

Next was the gas tank and the seat.  For us the gas tank dictates the overall look and attitude of the bike, and for this build, we wanted something aggressive -- something that looked like it was racing toward horizons even at a full stop.  Maintaining the visual theme set by the trellis frame, we shaped the new aluminum gas tank like the stealth tip of an arrow in flight. We gave it sharp, angular corners, shaped the bottom of the tank to follow the new subframe, and added knee indents for additional detail.  Following the lines of the new gas tank, we designed the seat. We wrapped the seat pan with cowhide upholstery and fabricated a single square tail light similar to the double square tail light found on the Ducati 996 -- a bike with the same engine as the S4R Monster.

 

Next was the gas tank and the seat.  For us the gas tank dictates the overall look and attitude of the bike, and for this build, we wanted something aggressive -- something that looked like it was racing toward horizons even at a full stop.  Maintaining the visual theme set by the trellis frame, we shaped the new aluminum gas tank like the stealth tip of an arrow in flight. We gave it sharp, angular corners, shaped the bottom of the tank to follow the new subframe, and added knee indents for additional detail.  Following the lines of the new gas tank, we designed the seat. We wrapped the seat pan with cowhide upholstery and fabricated a single square tail light similar to the double square tail light found on the Ducati 996 -- a bike with the same engine as the S4R Monster.

 

We didn’t want the rear signal lights on the bike to stick out, so we added a small scoop on the sides that housed yellow LEDs.  For extra detail, we also added a notch on the right side of the seat to clear the high-mounted exhaust muffler.

Another major part of the bike that dictates its attitude is the exhaust.  The stock exhaust was the bolt-on performance exhaust from Arrows -- which looks perfectly fine on a stock Monster setup, but we pitched a one-off bike and we were going to deliver.  We made our own exhaust out of stainless steel, building a 2 into 2 setup. We topped it off with a pie cut setup on the bends -- one routed under the seat and the other routed under the motor, exiting out past the right-side footpeg.

 

We wanted to contrast the back of the bike with something more simple up front.  We ditched the stock gauges, ordered a custom speedometer with built-in tachometer, and fabricated an aluminum headlight bucket that houses the custom gauge.  Akin to the rear signal lights, we tucked the yellow LEDs of the front signal lights inside stainless steel scoops mounted on the sides of the bucket.

Solidifying the Angalore as a truly custom BCR build, we made our own clip-on handlebars out of stainless steel, machined its own footpegs and foot controls in-house, and made an originally designed fender.  We also made a custom timing belt cover, clutch shield, and vented side covers for the radiator.

 

Every part of this bike was BCR and every part of BCR loved every part of it.  In the end, after all the work was done, the only problem we had with the bike was that it wasn’t ours.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now